Welcome back to Dark Forest. Round 3: Grape Extra-Small (yes, that’s right) will begin on Thursday, August 12. The round will last 9 days and will end on Sunday, August 22, at 9AM PT / 12PM EST.
This round is named after the planet Grape Extra-Small, whose “Legendary HAT” was purchased by @cronii0x during round 2. The round name of round 4 will also be determined by the largest HAT from this round (tiebroken by energy cap and purchase time).
This round is quite a change of pace from previous rounds: It’s a race to the center of the universe.
Your score is dependent on how close you can get to the center
(0,0) of the universe.
Please note that:
- After capturing a planet, you must claim that planet for it to be considered for scoring.
- Only one claimed lvl 3+ planet is considered for each player’s score - your closest claimed planet to
(0,0)will override the score of your others.
- If another player steals your planet and then claims it (even if you’ve previously claimed it), that planet will no longer be considered for your score.
- Players can claim one planet, at most, once every 3 hours. (eg: If a player captures two planets, they must decide which one to claim first, and then wait 3 hours to claim the next)
- At the center of the universe
(0,0), there is a single lvl 9 planet. Holding this planet at the end of the round will be a guaranteed first place, as it is the center of the universe.
- In the event of a tie, ‘time of claim’ will be used as a tiebreaker.
There are a number of changes, most of which are particular for this round alone for balance purposes:
- Planets cannot be transferred between players.
- Photoid Cannons are more common.
- Photoid Cannons have been tuned: range buff is always 2x, and speed buffs are halved.
- Quasars have been buffed: they now have normal speed, and you’ll find fewer space pirates on them!
- Similar to the previous round, the entire universe is made up of only deep and dead space.
- Artifacts have shared no new knowledge with us, and as such, players are unable to speak with them this round.
- The universe will be re-deployed shortly before the round begins, so don’t bother trying to premine the map this round ;)
The open-source contract and client code will be updated shortly to reflect Round 3 changes.
Whitelist keys for this round will be emailed to all players who successfully discovered an artifact in the previous round, in addition to a random subset of the waitlist.
You can earn your whitelist key for the next round by having at least one actively claimed lvl 3+ planet at the end of this round. As a reminder, keys for previous rounds will not work in this round.
As in the previous round, the top 63 players will be awarded Dark Forest NFTs in Valhalla. Special prizes will additionally be awarded at the discretion of the developers for particularly creative or community-oriented projects.
There are a handful of fantastic tools and resources out there for everyone:
- [community] Plugins showcase (repo)
- [community] Plugin Dev Server
- [community] Remote Miner
- [community] Dev Guides (repo - open a PR to submit a guide!)
- [community] Jacob Rosenthal’s summary of dev resources
- [community] DFWiki.net, a new community-run Dark Forest Wiki
- [community] Dark Forest local deployment kit
- [official] open-source client and smart contract code
- [official] Dark Forest official npm packages
- [official] Dark Forest Round 2 Subgraph
- [official] typedoc generated docs for official webclient
Start your engines, because the race begins in just a few days. Best of luck in the Dark Forest!